Mexico Travel Permits & Info

mexico travel permitsMexico is a country that is magical, rich in history, and has endless places to be discovered.  We at Budget Insurance have put together this page to assist you in planning your trip.

Your safety is our priority. We have a few recommendations to give you to make sure that you will have what you need to make your Mexico Travel a road trip full of memories to share with family and friends, and as is tradition with Sanborn’s customers, for generations to come.

If you’re driving in Mexico, there are areas where Mexico travel permits and other documents are required.  Here’s the place to start!

To complement your planning for your road trip to Mexico, you may register your trip to with the State Department; this is a free service, provided by the US Government for US citizens, who are traveling to a foreign country. Registering allows you to record information about your upcoming trip and the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency. Americans residing abroad can also get routine information from the nearest US embassy or consulate.


Register your trip:


Please be aware of your surroundings; stay alert. Mexico’s government continues with their war against drug cartels. For most Mexicans, this war is something that they read in the media, not something they are experiencing. This is also true for tourists, and this war is far from tourist spots and resorts.


Passport & Passport Card Information:

How to apply for your passport, where to apply, cost and other passport related information.


Need a Passport or Passport Card in a hurry?

Schedule an appointment with Tucson’s Western Passport Agency and get your Passport or Passport Card in 24 hours.  (Proof of travel is required.  Your Sanborn’s Mexico Insurance policy is an acceptable proof of travel document.)


Mexico Tourist VISA (FMM):

If you are only driving to any of the border cities or Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point) no immigration permit is required. If traveling beyond 21 km south, including San Carlos, an immigration permit is required and can be obtained at the Customs checkpoints by presenting:

  • Valid US passport or Birth Certificate and a government issued photo ID (i.e. driver’s license)

You can also begin your Tourist VISA online.  After receiving your Tourist VISA via email, you will still need to stop by the immigration office to have your Tourist VISA stamped.  When you arrive at the immigration office, be sure to bring your printed Tourist VISA, passport or birth certificate inside with you.  If you are traveling in Sonora, crossing in Nogales, the 21K checkpoint is where you’ll need to go.

Vehicle Permit Requirements

If you are traveling outside of the “FREE ZONE” area, Banjercito now requires you to leave a guarantee deposit in addition to the fee for your vehicle importation permit.