Teen Driving Tips for Prom and Graduation
Keeping Teen Drivers Safe During Prom and Graduation
High school is full of defining moments for Tucson teens and two of the highlights for most are prom and graduation.
However, this time of year often sees other, more tragic defining moments - serious auto accidents involving teens who are distracted or even under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Prom and graduation are two of the most risky times for teen drivers.
At Budget Insurance, we want to help make this season one to celebrate for you and your teen driver. So, with the help of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, here are some tips that can keep your teen driver safe during prom and graduation.
First, encourage your teen driver to follow these general safe-driving rules:
Absolutely no alcohol
Always use seat belts
No cell phone use (including texting) while driving
Of course, special events such as prom and graduation often present special circumstances. There may be dinner with dates before the dance, and parties before or after either event. It’s a good idea to discuss your expectations well before prom and graduation, putting some guidelines into place before your teen driver heads out for the night. Here are some ideas:
- Make sure you know the itinerary of the prom and graduation evenings, as well as who else will be with your teen. You should have contact information for everyone.
- Have a way to contact your teen at all times. You may want to require them to check in with you once or twice over the course of the evening.
Set a curfew, whether they are coming back to your home or staying with a friend. If they are staying elsewhere, make sure the curfew will be enforced by a responsible adult.
- Discuss with your teen how to handle difficult situations, such as facing pressure to drink, or accepting a ride with someone who shouldn’t be driving. It’s a good idea to provide your child with money for a taxi just in case.
- Offer a “no-questions-asked” ride home, should they need one during the evening.
- If you’re worried about your teen driving, consider alternate transportation. A car service or limousine will provide a responsible, experienced adult driver. You also will be able to limit changes to the itinerary and contact the driver.
Prom and graduation in Tucson are special times in a teen’s life. And just a little common sense will go a long way toward making sure your young adult is around to enjoy the other milestones that are sure to come.
Budget Insurance in Tucson & Sahuarita, AZ can provide you with a collection of tools, benefits and discounts to help your teen become a safer driver — as well as manage the cost of adding them to your auto insurance policy. There are several discounts available, including the Good Student Discount, Driver Training Discount and more. Call Budget Insurance at (520) 882-5000 or find a local agent in your area for more information!